Monday, August 1, 2016

Laura Cooper - Adaptability

In beginning these readings on Adaptability, I decided to first look again at the CheckPoint 360 assessment. Adaptability is one of the 8 competencies in this assessment, and Profiles International describes this competency as: “Deals effectively with diverse work styles and in differing environments. Adjusts constructively to setbacks and plans for change. Encourages creativity, innovation, and risk-taking.” My own CheckPoint 360 assessment lists Adaptability as one of my “talents,” and I think I have a good example of why.

I used to work for USDA, specifically the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), specifically a little lab in Beaver, WV called Appalachian Farming Systems Research Center (AFSRC). In 2011, Congress decided to cut AFSRC out of the national budget. This came as a blow to the scientists, technicians, small businesses in the area supported by the lab, and the research community who had benefited from the specific research that was done at AFSRC. It was a shock to me too, but secretly I was excited about being thrust into a brand new environment, an opportunity to change the future of my career.

2012 was a huge year of change for me. As the year began, I ceased being a research technician, and volunteered to be in charge of inventory and distribution of the equipment in our facility, which amounted to millions of dollars of lab, farm, and even exercise equipment. I also learned how to handle an interview that year, and after about a half-dozen of them at DEP, finally landed a position in the Office of Oil & Gas. While trying to learn everything about horizontal well permitting and what it is like to work for the State, particularly DEP, we also bought a house, moved our kids to a new school, and I began volunteering as VP of our new parent-teacher organization. All-in-all, I think I adapted well to all this change.

In reading an article entitled “Adaptability: 1 Idea, 3 Facts, 5 Tips,” they mentioned 3 types of flexibility that adaptable people possess, shown here in a Venn diagram. I suppose mine overlap pretty well—but it seems important as a leader to not only possess these qualities, but to be able to bring them out in others. Ideas for how to do this were apparent in the “5 tips” section of this article.
Tip 1: Be curious. To foster this notion, I plan to encourage the curiosity of those on the teams I’m   on. I’ll pose questions to the team to encourage them to think of different solutions, and encourage openness of ideas.

Tip 2: Don’t get too attached to a single plan or strategy. Even when we think we have a plan, I’ll encourage the group to develop an alternative plan, so we can change course if needed.
Tip 3: Create support systems. I’ll encourage teammates to contact each other for advice, for bouncing ideas off of, to identify and use mentors, and to contact team leaders when concerns arise.
Tip 4: Understand your own reaction to change. For me, my reaction to change is usually excitement. I need to understand that few people will be as excited as I am to try something new. I also need to encourage others on my team to understand their own reactions to change, and those of their teammates.
Tip 5: Immerse yourself in new environments and situations. I tend to immerse myself in too many new situations, and I often need to hold myself back when an opportunity arises. Many folks, however, could use a new situation to expand their outlook. I should encourage those around me to get out of their own comfort zones to learn new concepts, work with different people, and get beyond the day-to-day duties.


I hope to be able to use what I’ve learned in this topic of adaptability to not only continue to foster my own flexibility, but also encourage those around me to see the fun that can come with change when it’s done right.

No comments: