Monday, June 13, 2016

Leadership Blog - Christina

I had  hoped that while I was in Washington DC last week on vacation that I was going to figure out some really great things to write for my first entry in the Emerging Leaders Blog.  It didn't quite work out that way.  I did take a picture of a really great quote at the MLK Memorial, that I think reflects part of the path we are traveling together in Emerging Leaders. The Leadership Article in the Harvard Business Review is the one I am going to write about today.   I specifically liked the sections in the article about empowering employees and showing an openness to new ideas.  I feel fortunate in the many jobs I have had with various state agencies.  These two characteristics were present in my favorite supervisors and bosses.  I have always felt that when you work with people with these qualities that you hate to even call them a boss or a supervisors, because above all, I think they are friends. These "friends" to me are the best kind to have, because they allow you to grow and take on new challenges, but they will also tell you when you need to take it down a notch or correct your course in a way that you learn and grow from it.  I had one boss in particular, that when I would  get mad and upset and want to call folks out, he would tell me, that sometimes the best thing to do is sit at your desk and spend some time pouting rather than react in a way that is just going to upset people and get you in hot water.  Reading this article, I realize that by teaching me to cool off for a while was a way to protect me from the folks who were in leadership positions but didn't possess the skills outlined in the article. There are many people in government that lead from a place of fear rather than from a place of teaching and guiding.

I hope my rambling for the blog posting is what was needed.  I did see one other thing last week while at the airport that stuck with me and I thought that some other folks in the group would like it.  It is a short video on Everday Leadership and I think it also speaks some the the first point in the HBR article about having a safe and open environment in which to work.

https://www.ted.com/talks/drew_dudley_everyday_leadership

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to sit at my desk and pout more often than I do. I tend to jump and run to the phone or another office to speak my mind.

Unknown said...

I need to sit at my desk and pout more often than I do. I tend to jump and run to the phone or another office to speak my mind.

Unknown said...

Yes, when you have a good boss, with a light touch who you trust to be looking out for your best interests, things sure are easier. I've had the experience - thanks for reminding me.

Christina said...

I think the other side of that coin that I didn't mention was while that boss taught me to slow down and not just react, he also taught me that you do what is right, it just sometimes takes a little longer to get to the right answer without making everyone else mad in the process.