I am an unabashed bookworm. Given the opportunity, I will
ensconce myself on a couch, bed, or chair for hours (days even) reading. I love
it. I also love Netflix, and social media - two remarkable inventions that
allow me to stay current without ever leaving my home. I can interact with
friends or family living several states or a continent away. One winter, I
worked from home. It was one of the finest winters I have ever spent, because I
only had to leave the house two days a week. That may be some people’s idea of
torture, but it isn’t mine. Sure, I love to see my friends, do new things and visit
new places, but, essentially, I am an introverted home body. So forming
workplace relationships is hard.
It’s hard because it is exhausting. But, working around this
can be very rewarding. As we’ve read and discussed, productive workplace
relationships are essential to an employee’s success. Workplace friends are the
people that help you learn the ropes at a new job, or they help you acquire a
new skill that they are an expert at. While you learn from their wisdom and
experience, they can learn from yours. After all, we’re all unique individuals
with unique skills or understanding of situations.
One of my favorite tips from Ms. Cain is to take time to
restore after you have to do something “out of character.” Generally, I apply
this to my social life, but it’s also helpful at work. If I know I have a big
day of meetings (or a big event or social engagement) one day, I try to let the
next day be a recovery day of sorts. I’m still doing work, but it’s work that
can be done on my own in my own space. Sometimes I can’t work my schedule out
that way, and that’s ok. If that happens, I take a walk by myself for a few
minutes, or make sure I get alone time at home (Full disclosure: there are days
when I have to take 5 minutes to stand in a bathroom stall alone if I get super
overwhelmed. Not proud of it, but these things happen and I feel restored afterward).
She also mentions using a “quota system” to decide which
networking functions to attend. I don’t generally get invited to a lot of
networking functions; however, I often find myself going to a person’s office
for a quick chat about work projects. A few times a week, I like to use those
chats as opportunities to also talk about that person and our common interests.
I don’t feel comfortable doing personal chats every day, but they are a great foundation
for productive workplace relationships.
I know some of you are likely introverts as well, so I hope
you find these ideas as helpful as I have.
1 comment:
(kindof the) Same.
While I don't think I'm as much as an introvert as you purport to be, I totally get where you're coming from. I went to a "Women in Energy" conference a few years ago, and a woman CEO gave similar advice. She said she's not naturally extroverted, but she's worked with it. She has decompression time at home every evening, time to just be alone and comfortable. I do that, too. Some days, when they have been very busy and collaborative (not Emerging Leaders days, because those are like sitting with friends on a porch), I come home and just snuggle on the couch for a little while... i mean, usually, I have to start on dishes/dinner, but sometimes I get to just chill. I think there are a lot more of us than we thought! Maybe most people that need to be ON all day long like to come home to blankets, comfy pants, and a book.
Post a Comment